A text that truly embodies its name, CHEMISTRY: PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICE, 3rd, International Edition connects the chemistry students learn in the classroom (principles) with real-world uses of chemistry (practice). The authors accomplish this by starting each chapter with an application drawn from a chemical field of interest and revisiting that application throughout the chapter. The Case Studies, Practice of Chemistry essays, and Ethics in Chemistry questions reinforce the connection of chemistry topics to areas such as forensics, organic chemistry, biochemistry, and industry.
Table of Contents :
1. Introduction to Chemistry.
2. Atoms, Molecules, and Ions.
3. Equations, the Mole, and Chemical Formulas.
5. Chemical Reactions in Solution Thermochemistry.
6. The Gaseous State.
7. Electronic Structure.
8. The Periodic Table: Structure and Trends.
9. Chemical Bonds.
10. Molecular Structure and Bonding Theories.
11. Liquids and Solids.
13. Chemical Kinetics.
14. Chemical Equilibrium.
15. Solutions of Acids and Bases.
16. Reactions Between Acids and Bases.
17. Chemical Thermodynamics.
19. Metals, Coordination Chemistry, and Metallurgy.
20. The Chemistry of Hydrogen, Elements in Groups 3A through 6A,
21. Nuclear Chemistry.
22. Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry.
Appendix A: Math Procedures.
Appendix B: Selected Physical Constants.
Appendix C: Unit Conversion Factors.
Appendix D: Names of Ions.
Appendix E: Properties of Water.
Appendix F: Solubility Products, Acids, and Bases.
Appendix G: Thermodynamic Constants for Selected Compounds.
Appendix H: Standard Reduction Potentials at 25.
Appendix I: Glossary.
Appendix J: Answers to Selected Exercises.